This is not a big news recipe. It’s a way of me sharing a key ingredient that some fitness people use for creamy protein shakes. This ingredient will make your shakes pudding/ice cream like consistency that you may even have to “drink” it with a spoon :). That key ingredient is xanthan or guar gum (You can read all about in the link provided). Using lots of ice is what will make it have almost an ice cream like consistency…protein ice cream? say what? Xanthan or guar gum almost doubles the volume so you will feel full with one serving! I like to eat in big volume so this is perfect for me since I have a bottomless pit and it really fills me up after a grueling workout.
I don’t drink many protein shakes; maybe 4 times a week if that since I like to eat real food instead (you know chicken, eggs, non-fat plain greek yogurt, fish, shrimp & lean meats). But when I do, I always make this shake. If you want to make your shake even better, add half a banana for an even creamier shake! I love bananas so this is almost my way to go.
- 8 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk (40 calories per serving)
- 1 cup of ice (more or less depending on your preference)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (mine measures 32 grams)
- ½ tablespoon xanthan or guar gum
- ¼ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ banana - optional
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend away! About 45 seconds or until smooth.
I don’t even know who came up with this idea of using this ingredient so I can’t even give proper credit to that person. But thanks whoever you are!